Sunday, August 18, 2013

Looking for Energy

This is getting hard.  I am in my last week.  I think my stomach has adjusted to less food so that I don't feel hungry most of the time.  But trying to find the energy to get things done is getting hard.  Simply put - this just simply is not enough food.  I am done in a week, but others throughout the world - even here in Houston - are not done in a week and live this way all of the time.  No wonder kids don't perform well in school - how could they?  These are old numbers - from 2001 - I bet they are worse now with the worldwide economic crisis that has impacted not only the United States, but economic markets all over the world - but here they are:
The most commonly used definition of global poverty is the absolute poverty line set by the World Bank. Poverty is set at an income of $2 a day or less, and extreme poverty is set at $1 a day or less.
As of 2001, 1.1 billion people, or 21% of the 2001 world population, had incomes less than the World Bank’s ‘$1 a day’ line for extreme poverty. 2.7 billion people had incomes less than the World Bank’s ‘$2 a day’ line for poverty. While this is a decline from past years (in 1981, there were 1.5 billion people in extreme poverty), it still means that almost one-half of the world’s population lives in poverty

Let me tell you, after eating on a dollar a day for over three weeks now (with two feast days in the middle of that)  you cannot function well on a dollar a day - even if a dollar does buy more in the Philippines than it does in the U.S.  I don't think, after experiencing this myself, you can function well on $2 a day.  It's unjust that half of the world's population has to do that, when there is enough food - some of us just over-consume - lots of us .  If all children are created in the image of God, then all children have a divinely given right to reach their full potential and we have a moral imperative to try to make sure they do - it can't be done on $1 or even $2 a day - you can't stay healthy, you can't develop normally (all my brain and other body cells have developed - if I was a child, this process would be hurting that development) , and you can't focus or find the energy to perform at full potential.  So what are we going to do about it?

You can support me here: http://togetherinhope.org/Corporate_Sponsorship.html your donation will help those living in extreme poverty in the Philippines. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment